Monday, May 21, 2007

Don't Transform Metolius - Duncan Robertson, Portland

Dear Senator Nelson:

I first encountered the Metolius River and its magnificent setting at the age of five. Since then I have visited there every summer but one, in my 64 years (and a couple of winters). For me and my family it continues to be perhaps the most special place in the world – even though now I speak on cruise ships, and have considerable lands with which to compare it. On a cruise just this month we visited Bora Bora – also known as one of the most beautiful places on earth – and I suddenly realized that I must write to you regarding your action on Senate Bill 30 and related steps. I had been to Bora Bora perhaps 15 years ago on a small ship and celebrated the pristine beaches and clear waters. This time I landed with some 3,500 passengers and crew of two cruise ships. It was like an invasion force.

The pure and simple beauty of Waikiki with its fragrant lei wagons along Kalakaua Avenue is now obliterated; fortunately someone stepped in and halted further development of Yosemite before it was lost forever. In the interest of simply being responsible human beings we must not destroy this perfect treasure, certainly the jewel of Oregon, by prostituting it for the sake of personal and tax dollars.

I have heard the argument that bringing a “destination resort” would burden the available water – and of course that’s true, together with the sewage disposal problem. But I see that as secondary to adding the numbers of people and commerce that would transform the area from being a peaceful and awe inspiring retreat – where a kid can still go camping and catch a fish - into something more resembling a theme park.

Thus I am writing to thank you for your conscientious and responsible dealing with SB 30, that hopefully will place a major obstacle in the way of further efforts to ruin this most beautiful of places.

Very Truly Yours,
Duncan K. Robertson
Portland, OR

No comments: