Sunday, May 20, 2007

You Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone - Mary Hogan, Hailey ID

Dear Senator,

Please protect the Metolius Basin from destination resort developments.

When ever I see or hear of more development I think of the Joni Mitchell’s song, "Big Yellow Taxi".

The second verse says:
“They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
And they charged all the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot."

The Metolius is the most special place to me. I spent a month every summer growing up there. Every time I go back, it is the one place that has not changed. My grandparents built a cabin in 1938 on a leased lot from the Forest Service.

I would be so sad and disappointed to see the area change. We need to protect the Metolius Basin from developers.

A development would impact the water table, the river, the native plants, animals and their habitat. The American people do not need another golf course in the area; they do not need second homes, mansions, restaurants, lodges, etc.; there is no need for more roads. This would affect so much of the natural beauty including animal migration.

A bumper sticker I recently read on a car said " THE MORE I KNOW, THE LESS I NEED".
Our society in general seems to only think of money, short term gains and our selves. What about the animals, the watershed and the native plants?

There is no other place in Oregon like the Metolius Basin. There are so many places like Black Butte Ranch, Sun River etc. It must be saved and protected for future generations including native species.
Please do not " pave another paradise"

Sincerely, Mary Hogan
Hailey, Idaho

No comments: