Monday, May 21, 2007

Support From Rainland Fly Casters - Walt Weber, Astoria

[Sent to House Committee on Agriculture and National Resources and Rep. Merkley]

I support SB 30. My concern about these developments is the potential for adverse impacts on Lake Cr., downstream in the Metolius R. and Fly Cr. The T/E Bull Trout in the Metolius R. and tributaries need very cold water to complete their life cycle. The T/E Redband Rainbow Trout could be adversely impacted by changes in groundwater flows or pollution from the development in that area. Lake Cr. water quality maintenance is very important in view of the proposed reintroduction of Sockeye Salmon into the watershed. They are also dependent on cold, clean water and Lake Cr. is the only conduit to the key Suttle Lake rearing area and Suttle Lake spawning tributaries. I am the Conservation Director for the Astoria based conservation group, Rainland Fly Casters. I am also a Native Fish Society River Steward. I worked out the Bend ODFW office from 1988-1993 so am somewhat familiar with the Metolius basin. Thank you for consideration of my comments.

Walt Weber.

No comments: