Wednesday, April 25, 2007

We Hold An Ethical Responsibility - Patricia Johnson, Edgewater FL

Good morning, Senators Walker, Kruse, Metsger and Morse,

I am writing in support of SB 30.

I am the younger daughter of the late Sam and Becky Johnson, and the sister of Sen. Betsy Johnson. As youngsters, Betsy and I attended kindergarten and grade school in Redmond, but nearly every weekend and most of our summers were spent at the family cabin near the headwaters of the Metolius River. Our father's ashes are buried there, as Mother's will be this summer. I have always considered it to be my home.

From the time I was a little tyke, I was taught conservation, environmentalism and total respect for that magnificent part of the world. At age 54, I cannot imagine the irresponsibility of allowing "destination resorts" of any kind, being allowed in or near The Metolius River Basin.

I currently live in Florida and have a first hand view of the destruction of a beautiful state due to the pure greed of land developers. Native Central Floridians refer to Mickey Mouse as "The Black Rat." Homes frequently fall into sink holes due to the aquifer's depletion. The thought of this type of destruction beginning in my Central Oregon brings tears to my eyes.

My father once told me "We do not really own this land. God does. We hold an ethical responsibility as its caretakers." Please consider his words and prohibit the "resort" development of this fragile and magnificent part of the world.

Respectfully,

Patricia C. "Patti" Johnson
Edgewater, Florida

No comments: