Tuesday, April 24, 2007

You Have The Power To Protect This Wonderful Place - Mark Inkster, Lake Oswego

Hello Senator Westlund,

Please support SB30 - Metolius.

My family has visited the Metolius basin for five generations, and we consider it one of the most special, unique places in the world, and certainly something to be protected. As Oregon continues to develop, it's critical to maintain our most beautiful spaces as pristine places where we can go to appreciate the wonders of nature. I support economic growth, and I support real estate development. But these should be done responsibly, and with an eye to future generations. The Metolius is best appreciated as a quiet reserve, and large scale development in the Metolius basin is completely inappropriate.

Over the years, I have traveled all over the world, to more than 50 countries. When I come back to Oregon, I always appreciate the wonderful job that our ancestors have done to protect its beautiful places for everybody to enjoy. Whether it's the parks in Portland, the forests of the Cascades, the grasslands and wetlands of southeastern Oregon, our public coastal spaces, or many of the other beautiful places, many generations of leaders have decided to develop our lands wisely. I urge you to maintain this longstanding and proud tradition. It's a key part of what makes Oregon great.

It's a tradition that I have personally tried to uphold. Just a couple of years ago, I sold a piece of undeveloped property bordering Tryon Creek State Park to the State of Oregon at a below market price, because I believe in the goal of maintaining and protecting our beautiful natural places. Like many other Oregonians, I act upon my beliefs.

As a representative of many Oregonians, you have the power to protect this wonderful place, and to give a voice to its beauty. If you are not familiar with the Metolius River, Camp Sherman or Green Ridge, please take the less than 2 hour drive from Salem to see it for yourself and enjoy its calm, peace and beauty.

Thank you for representing me, the many many people like me who support this, and the generations of Oregonians yet to come who will benefit from your thoughtful and far-sighted leadership.

Best regards,

Mark Inkster
Lake Oswego, OR

No comments: