Thursday, May 24, 2007

Do Not Degrade the Metolius - Cheryl Schadt, Redmond

[Sent to Rep. Whisnant and Sen Westlund:]

I am a native-born Oregonian, who for most of my adult life, lived out of this glorious state. Upon retiring 8 years ago, my husband & I returned to Oregon. We live in a destination resort at Eagle Crest. Although I am not happy with the large number of destination resorts that have been approved and built since we moved here, including the latest phase to Eagle Crest that has transpired since land was traded with BLM, I understand that we can't "close the door" behind us. I worry a lot about the water situation, the effect on our services that the destination resorts do not completely pay for--I believe that all development should pay for the impacts that they cause.

My biggest concern, though, is the latest proposal to build destination resorts at Camp Sherman. I hike there often--in fact, I hiked along the Metolius today. Even though there is a minimal amount of development there, it is such a peaceful and awe-inspiring area. The Metolius is crystal clear, and running fast with spring thaw. We saw fish, ducks, geese, and Western Tanagers. There were a few fly-fisherman casting for fish. The cedars and pines are huge, and the wildflowers are blooming. It is a beautiful area that should be protected. I believe legislation should be enacted that would protect this area for our children and grandchildren as other areas such as the Oregon beaches and Crater Lake have been. The area is used extensively by fly-fisherman, rafters, hikers, bird watchers and others, from the local area, as well as all over the world, and has been recognized as precious by the Federal Goverment when they enacted and created the Wild and Scenic River designation for the river.

At the very least, do not spoil this by allowing developers & Jefferson County to degrade this area. The impact would be huge, and irrepairable. Please support legislation as passed by the Senate Bill 30 and encourage development to be placed where it would be less harmful.

Thanks so much for your help in this matter. As a Representative for this area, surely you understand and appreciate our feelings on this matter.

Sincerely, Cheryl Schadt
Redmond OR

No comments: