Friday, May 25, 2007

This is NOT A NIMBY Issue - Herbert Anderson, Dayton

[Sent To All State Representatives:]

In connection with SB 30-Metolius I read that someone had said that it appeared that this was a case of homeowners in the area saying that, now that I have mine, everyone else should be kept out. As a member of the public who does not own a house there, but who has used the Metolius area for more than fifty years, that struck me as ignoring the interests of we non-owners of property in the Metolius basin who use the area far more,

With at least four U.S. Forest Camps and many public accommodations in the area, those who do not own property there but use the area frequently, must outnumber the property owners by more than ten to one. There are only a few houses in that area, but the Forest Camps and public accomocations are full all summer long. With our six children we stayed in Forest Camps or rented public accommodations every year over many years, and on other occasions came to the area for the day for fishing and relaxing.

When I almost died from pneumonia in 1962 the doctor told me, upon my release from the hospital, that I needed some time for recuperation and that in his experience those who stayed at home often languished for weeks. But that those who went away recovered far sooner. My wife and I went to the House on the Metolius where the first day I walked down and looked at the river but then immediately returned to our cabin and went to bed for the rest of the day. The next day I rigged up a fishing rod and fished about an hour before retiring to bed. Each day I was a little stronger and at the end of a week I waded in the stream all day. The doctor was right. The peace and serenity of the area brought quick healing to a depleted body.

I am not alone in recognizing the restful attributes of the area. Erskine Wood told me many years ago that just before the Normandy invasion of Europe in World War II Gen. George Marshall, Army Chief of Staff, called him and said that he expected in a short time to be extremely busy and wanted a few days rest. He asked to spend that time at Erskine’s camp on the Metolius because he could think of no more restful spot.

When we have great treasures we preserve them by National Park status, Wilderness designations or National Monuments. We don’t build a freeway through the most beautiful part of such locations in the belief that it will make the area available to more people. It would actually destroy what we most admire. A crystal clear river bursting forth from the hillside is unique and the beauty of the Metolius area is not found in any other place. To permit a large housing development in the area would necessarily detract from what the public now enjoys in the area. I hope you will support legislation to prohibit such construction.

Herbert H. Anderson
Dayton, OR

No comments: