Thursday, May 10, 2007

Reaffirming My Support - Marie Sheahan Brown, Camp Sherman

[Sent to Senators Johnson, Brown, Westlund, Burdick, and similar letter to Senators Ferrioli, Monnes Anderson, and Nelson:]

I have written to you twice before, urging your support for the ORIGINAL version of SB 30 to Save the Metolius. I now write to you as a member of the Senate Rules Committee.

While reaffirming my support for the ORIGINAL version of SB 30, I wish to clarify that I would not want this legislation possibly to be interpreted to eliminate the existing small, historic resorts and occasional B&Bs in existing homes in the Metolius Basin.

I believe these existing small resorts ought NOT be permitted to expand, for the same reasons that large Destination Resorts ought not be permitted. However, I am one of many who regard these small, historically present resorts as part of the cherished ambiance of Camp Sherman and the Metolius Basin. These few, small temporary lodgings have enabled generations of people to visit the Metolius for decades without undue or irreversible harm to the ecosystem.

Specifically, I am referring to the following sites:
Black Butte Resort & RV Park
Camp Sherman Store (a couple of rental rooms)
Cold Springs Resort
House on the Metolius
Lake Creek Lodge
Metolius River Lodges
Metolius River Resort
Suttle Lake Lodge
Twin View Resort

I am a native of Camp Sherman, 50 years old, and each one of these small resorts existed before I was born.

Thank you, Senator, for restoring the ORIGINAL version of SB 30 and maintaining the irreplaceable values of the Metolius Basin.

Sincerely,
Marie Sheahan Brown
Camp Sherman OR

No comments: