Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I Appreciate What You Are Trying To Do Here - Patrick Buresh, Bend

Hello Senator Westland,

I appreciate what you are trying to do here. Maybe my story can help.

I am partially responsible for the growth in Central Oregon. My wife and I moved here with our son almost 5 years ago. We have since added a daughter and will be picking up our adopted son at the Portland airport on Saturday, May 5. So, I understand the need for development. However, the Metolius Basin is not the appropriate place for this development. It was once considered for National Park status! I would rather see Camp Sherman relocated and the land donated to the Deschutes Basin Land Trust then see more building near the basin. It is more appropriate to quadruple the number of people in the city of Sisters than put those people in a couple new cities near the Metolius River.

Last spring I visited my Grandpa Vetz – my last living grandparent. He was a WWII vet who trained in Camp Abbot (near Sunriver) and loved to fish. His time at Camp Abbot was one of the few things he was able to talk about during that visit. At times he couldn’t remember who I was or how many times we had walked around his apartment. But, he could remember playing in the snow in Central Oregon. I was able to convince my Uncle Rod that Grandpa’s old bamboo fly rod should come home with me. The only place I considered for that rod’s first outing in more than 20 years was the Metolius River. I have attached a picture (MetBowSmall.jpg) of the first fish I caught with the rod – a beautiful wild Metolius rainbow.

Grandpa died in early February. I headed to the Metolius with his old bamboo fly rod the next day. I was not able to make it to the services but a picture (GrandpaTroutSmall.jpg) of me with the only fish I was able to fool on that cold afternoon did.

The rod is now being restored. I hope I get it back in time for the green drake hatch on the Metolius!

Please help focus the development in this beautiful part of the world. We all know it will come but let’s use some common sense.

Sincerely yours,

Patrick Buresh
Bend, OR

No comments: