Friday, May 11, 2007

Don't Destroy The "Destination" - Stan Shively, Philomath

[Sent to all members of the Senate Rules Committee and Sen. Gary George:]

I understand that you will be taking up Senate Bill 30 (protecting the Metolius Basin) in your committee Friday afternoon.

I am writing to ask that you pass the original bill presented by Sen. Westlund protecting the Metolius Basin from destination resorts. I am appalled by the plan to establish two massive resorts in the Basin. These resorts would destroy the beauty of the region and, perversely the very reason for the "destination." The long-term loss to the State would be unimaginable.

My family and I have camped at and fished the Metolius River since 1970. Politicians often talk about 'family values' yet I can think of nothing that contributes more to a family than the ability to enjoy time together in the natural beauty of this great State - and one of the most pristine areas is the Metolius Basin.

I am asking that you protect the Metolius, now and for future generations.

Thank you,

Stan Shively
Philomath, OR

No comments: