Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Degree Of Urgency - Celia Walker, Fort Collins, CO

[Sent to all State Representatives:]

I am writing this letter to you with a degree of urgency I don’t often feel. I’m asking that you support Senate Bill 30 to protect the Metolius River Basin from development.

I grew up on the Metolius – I attended the little Black Butte School (which prepared me for my future Fulbright Fellowship), I hiked the trails, walked the roads and fields, knew all the bends in the river trail between the salmon hatchery my Dad managed and the country Store downriver. I learned to predict the weather by watching Green Ridge and Black Butte. The ponds and creeks were where I learned to swim. I remember the deer in the meadow in the winter, and the eagle overhead. 30 years later, after my husband died, I returned to the River to re-find my spirit, to heal. I most sincerely doubt that the Metolius area could continue to be pristine and refreshing if it were extensively developed…actually, if it were developed much more than it currently is.

I’ve lived in Colorado the last 28 years. I’ve watched a state essentially prostitute itself to development – if you doubt that, visit Breckenridge, Aspen, or Vail. Crested Butte will be the next significant loss…visit this year if you want to see what will disappear under the tread of many tourists and resorts. The losses are immense for those of us who have seen the wildflowers, the quiet roads, the clear water, smelled the peppery swamp grasses. Large-scale development is simply incompatible with such sites and violates them.

I trust Oregon is wiser, and sees value in protecting special locations such as the Metolius, for future generations. Please support SB 30 and do not allow it to be diluted by pro-development supporters.

There IS a value to humankind in preserving the few quiet, special, pristine places remaining. There is honor and respect for those who have the authority to enable that protection, such as yourself.

Celia S. Walker
Fort Collins, CO

1 comment:

All Blog Spots said...

Great blog, keep the good work going :)