Friday, May 11, 2007

Dedicated To The Metolius - Matt Weeber, Corvallis

[Sent to the members of the Senate Rules Committee, Sen. Morse, and Reps. Merkley, Hunt, Roblan, and Gelser:]

It is my understanding that senate bill 30, regarding the protection of the Metolius River watershed may soon be coming to a vote in both the senate and house. I would like to make it known that I support the original vision of the bill set out by senators Johnson and Westlund. I believe in a total prohibition on resorts in or within three miles of the Metolius River watershed. I am a graduate student in Fisheries and Wildlife at OSU and my research revolves around the Metolius sub-basin and protecting its native fish species. I believe it would be a travesty to allow "big resort" development within a sub-basin that is already one of the most "road impacted" in Oregon. As a native central Oregonian, born and raised in Redmond, I grew up on the Metolius in a sense. One of my first jobs was working for Becky Johnson, on her property at the head of the river. I have fly-fished the river since adolescents. I have conducted countless snorkel and fish nest (redd) surveys on the Metolius' many tributaries. I am concerned that added anthropogenic pressure would only exacerbate current problems, such as illegal camping, fishing, and dumping on river tributaries. Please protect this gem of an area so that future generations can enjoy it in the same way I have.

Sincerely,

Matt Weeber
Corvallis, OR

No comments: