Thursday, May 10, 2007

Committed To It's Beauty, History, And Preservation - Mary Jane K. Govaerts, Foster City, CA

Dear Senator Westlund [copied to Senator Burdick]:

Having been a registered voter fin San Mateo County, California for 26 years, I am writing my very first letter of support to a Government official. I find it ironic that this first letter is to a Senator outside of my County and State, but that is how passionate I am about this subject. I’m writing in support of SB 30 to provide any assistance that I can to help the save the Metolius River Basin. This pristine area has become a very special place to my family and I over the past many years. I am currently a resident of California, but spend each summer in Central Oregon with my family and friends enjoying the beauty of this rich area.

Having found this beautiful area that time seems to have forgotten has been a true a blessing. My time along the Metolius River is always a time of nourishment for my body and my soul. I have the great gift of being invited by a property owner to share a week of rest literally along the banks of the Metolius River in the town of Camp Sherman. I’ve had the opportunity to share with my family members, many of whom are residents of Oregon and some of our best times as grown adults have been in a little fishing lodge along the banks to the Metolius River. As a matter of fact, I am careful in who I share my knowledge of this area with in fear that it will become over visited, over populated, and thus exposed to those who might not respect or appreciate its uniqueness and vulnerability.

The people of Camp Sherman (residents, property owners, and the public servants) are so committed to its beauty, history and preservation that it reminds me of what is missing from many communities, and certainly my own, which is the agreement that the our environment is a gift from God and that as caretakers, we each have the responsibility to share it’s beauty while preserving it from being exploited and turned into yet another place for commerce to take over.

I greatly appreciate your support of the ORIGINAL version of SB 30 and although I’m not a registered voter in your Districtm I will continue to support SB 30 in any manner that I am able.

Sincerely,
Mary Jane K. Govaerts
Foster City, CA

No comments: