Sunday, May 27, 2007

Addressing Rep. Dallum's Flip Flop - Katherine Livingston, Camp Sherman

[The following is a letter from Camp Sherman resident, Katherine Livingston. It is a response to a letter Rep. John Dallum sent to her (pasted below) in which he asserts his reasons for withdrawing his support for BS 30]

Dear Rep.Dallum,

Much has happened since I received your letter, but I am writing to address one comment you wrote, saying that "The Metolius Basin, I have learned is not as pristine and cared for as many think."

I have no idea what your source of information is, but it is wrong.

I have walked the riverside paths from the headwaters to below Wizard Falls since l928, camped on Barney Madsen's dairy on Spring Creek up from the store, as well as at various spots along the river. Many of my friends camp yearly at the Forst Service Camps. Neither they nor I have ever come upon trash and litter.

What many people do not understand is that those of us who have loved and appreciated the Metoliuus Basin over all these years, have kept an ever watchful eye on its welfare, teaching our children, our guests and the hundreds of vacationers who come here every year about their responsibility to keep the Metolius as pure and beautiful as the good Lord created it so many thousands of years ago.

Please come and visit, walk the paths and see for yourself.

Katherine S. Livingston
Camp Sherman

[From Rep. Dallum]
Mrs. Livingston,

My apologies for such a late reply to your email. The pace has stepped up dramatically around the Capitol.

I understand your disappointment. I withdrew my name from SB 30 when I learned that the local government process in place is doing what it is supposed to do. Currently the Warm Springs Tribes have filed an appeal with LUBA. For the state to step in and circumvent that process is to do damage to local governance. I am of the opinion that government happens best closest to home, rather than from a distance. I believe that the Jefferson County commissioners have taken everything into consideration, after hearing about the process they used to come to their decision.

As for the Metolius Basin, I have learned it is not as pristine and cared for as many think. Damage has been done by recreational ATV users and others who go into the area, damaging trails and leaving their waste behind, which the Forest Service, due to financial constraints cannot repair or monitor.

Dutch Pacific (Shane Lundgren and Jim Kean) seems to have great possibility for benefiting the area, not only as a means of commercial income. You will have opportunities to hear their concept of protecting the Metolius, as they have been holding informational meetings for the public in Camp Sherman and other locales. Both Lundgren and Kean have family history in the area.

I hope this explains my position so that you understand why I cannot support SB 30. Thank you for taking the time to write of your disappointment. I respect your opinions.

Sincerely,
Rep John Dallum
House District 59

No comments: