Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Senate Bill 30 Written Testimony - Ervin Siverson, Portland

[Sent to Senators Walker, Westlund, Metsger, Morse, Kruse;]

My name is Ervin Siverson and I live in Portland, OR. I am writing in support of Senate Bill 30, which would limit development of destination resorts in the Metolius River Basin. I am not a developer, a lobbyist, or work for a real estate company. I do not represent any wildlife organization; I only take the time to write because I believe the Metolius River Basin is a special and sacred place that demands special legislation like Senate Bill 30 to protect it for generations to come.

In my personal life, I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) who works as a therapist in the Mental Health and Addictions field. I feel extremely blessed to watch clients work hard to make lifestyle changes that positively affect all aspects of their lives. I chose this type of work because I wanted to have some ability to potentially make a positive influence in the lives of others, thus giving back to society.

I firmly believe this is why all of you have chosen to work as a representative of the people of the State of Oregon. You chose this noble profession to have a positive influence in the lives of others, and wanted to leave behind a legacy that represented your values of choosing the profession of political representation. Senate Bill 30 represents one of these special moments where your decisions will have a lasting influence on the legacy of your representation and on the lives of others.

The Metolius River Basin is like no place on earth, I am sure by now you have been flooded with pictures that attempt to show its unique beauty. Pictures cannot capture how this place makes you feel, how it regenerates the soul, how it is a calming and peaceful place that allows all Oregonians to escape and retreat from the stressors of an increasingly stressful life. One can camp on the banks of the Metolius River for very little money, hike its trails to find solitude, and fish its crystal clear waters for native trout including the threatened Bull Trout.

The Metolius River Basin is not a place to site destination resorts such as those proposed for development. It is not a place for any further development at all, it is a place that demands legislators like you to step forward and pass legislation that protects its unique beauty for generations to come. If you chose to pass Senate Bill 30, it will represent your legacy to the State of Oregon, how you chose to protect what does not have a voice, the Metolius River Basin. Your place in the history of land preservation, wildlife preservation, and preservation of a special place will be secured. We know what the results will be if Senate Bill 30 is passed, we do not know what could happen to this special place if destinations resorts are allowed. The choice is yours, and I thank you for your time and consideration.

Ervin Siverson
Portland, OR

No comments: