Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Metolius: A Much Needed Break After Harvest - Pat Malone, Philomath OR

Chair Walker and Members of the committee:
[Hand Delivered]

My name is Pat Malone and I live at 24048 Maxfield Creek Road. Philomath, Oregon 97370. I am here today in support of Senate Bill 30. My Father and Grandfather were wheat ranchers in the Antelope area of Wasco County. They started coming to vacation on the Metolius River over one hundred years ago. It was a much needed break after the hay season and before the wheat harvest. My brother and I grew up on stories of the river and the annual trek there.

A good part of my motivation for getting up early today and putting aside the work I planned to do is to represent those that came before me and are no longer alive. The Metolius was special to them and the current generation has a responsibility to take care of this unique and special area.

I started going to Camp Sherman when I was a little kid in the early 1950’s. I remember lots of hiking along the Metolius, the lush grass, the ponderosa pine, the spectacular colors of Wizard Falls and the coldest water I have ever been in.

My wife and I took our kids to the Metolius many times as they were growing up and hope that this tradition will continue when they have children. The Metolius is a very special place for my family that needs our stewardship so that Oregonians today and in the future can enjoy its wonders.

Please pass SB 30 as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

Pat Malone
Philomath, Oregon

No comments: