Monday, April 23, 2007

The Metolius Is Huge in Korea - Bill Failing, Portland

[Sent to Senators Bend Westlund, Vicki Walker, and Diane Rosenbaum:]

The Metolius: I attended the hearing in Salem two weeks ago, but time did not allow me to testify. Let this written testimony add to that of those who foresee the potential ruin of this pristine paradise. In short, keep development out!

A quick story: I was a participant with the Governor’s Trade Mission to Korea and Japan this past summer. In Seoul, I sat next to a young gentleman who spoke excellent English….I complemented him on it…he replied: “It ought to be good…I studied at Lewis and Clark in Portland…” I continued, “How often do you get to Oregon:” “We have a place at Black Butte.” “Do you ever go to Camp Sherman?” “Oh yes, it is one of the most beautiful spots in the world…” Imagine: here we are on the other side of the world talking about Camp Sherman, Oregon! (I should add that he is part of one of Korea’s eminent industrial families also doing business in Oregon.)

My point: The Metolius, from the Head to the Lake BC, is not just a Jefferson County treasure, it is an Oregon treasure, a National treasure, and after the above story, an International treasure! We cannot allow Jefferson County’s financial woes, and its accompanying myopia, compromise this special Oregon paradise.

Jefferson County does not impress any of us---at the hearing especially, with its continued lack of vision evidenced in its presentation, and being part of the obvious planning chaos endemic to Central Oregon generally. Can we let these shortcomings drive this initiative? Keep in mind that a “little development” leads to “more development.” Look at Mt. Hood vs. Hood River Valley, for example. While I think the Lundgren’s have some sensitivity to the area via experience, it is too much a temptation to open the door a crack, which lets the others stampede through it also. Look at Measure 37.

Natural beauty helps define Oregon---do not allow one county’s financial issues transcend the greater value. My family has been visiting the Metolius for almost 100 years. I have photos taken in the 1920’s that are recognizable today. Let’s keep the Metolius recognizable 100 years from now!

Thanks for your leadership in what should be a no-brainer.

With my total support,

Bill Failing
An Oregon native
Camp Sherman leaser for 25 years

No comments: