Monday, April 23, 2007

Go Out And Fish - Michael Funke, Bend

Dear Senator Morse,

Three years ago I caught and released a three-pound Brown Trout on the small, upper stretch of the Metolius River, just downstream from the Blue Hole. I don't tell you that to brag. I have had more fishless days on that difficult river than I care to count. That late June day, I got lucky during the Golden Stonefly hatch. Nonetheless, it is a cherished moment on one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever fished.

When I hear about the destination resorts planned for the Metolius watershed, I think about that stretch of the river. If you've fished it, you know its small, really more of a creek than a river. It troubles me to think how much smaller it might be if nearby destination resorts were pulling water out of this delicate watershed.

So much of our wild land and wild rivers are being permanently altered by development. Please don't let this be the fate of the Metolius watershed. I urge you to vote for SB 30 to preserve the Metolius for today and future generations of flyfishers. Then go out and fish.

Michael Funke
TU member since 1990
Bend, OR