Monday, April 30, 2007

Discouraged By Amendments - Michael Funke, Bend

[Sent to Senator Vicki Walker:]

I am very discouraged to hear that you amended SB 30 late Friday night.

I would like to know why you introduced this amendment and how you think the new, amended SB 30 will protect the Metolius Basin.

Since I live over here in Central Oregon I probably hear more frequently than you do from people who regularly visit the Metolius and are very concerned about what destination resorts will do to this beautiful part of our region. Their concerns are evident in the huge amount of correspondence in support of the original, unamended SB 30.

We have seen how the proliferation of destination resorts have permanently altered the landscape of Powell Butte and other parts of Central Oregon. They also have had a profound impact on our regional economy as they increase the number and percentage of jobs that traditionally pay low wages.

I really do want to know the rationale for amending SB 30 they way you did. I look forward to your response.

Michael Funke
Bend, Oregon

No comments: