Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Day On the Metolius - Pat Krause, Portland

[Sent To Senator Vicki Walker, Chair; Senator Jeff Kruse, Vice-Chair; Senator Rick Metsger; Senator Frank Morse; Senator Ben Westlund; Representative John Dallum:]

Dear Members of the Senate Education and General Government Committee and Sponsors of SB-30:

I request that this letter be submitted as written testimony for the SB-30 hearing scheduled for April 26, 2007.

I am writing to you all, again to thank you for your responses to my first letter. I especially want to thank you for the time and effort you are putting into gathering information and being knowledgeable about the Metolius River Basin before making a decision regarding SB 30.

I am also writing to express my love of the Metolius River. I attended the April [5], 2007 hearing and became aware that some of you may have not spent time in the Metolius River Basin and may not fully understand the impact the river has on those of us who hike, camp, fish, own summer cabins on leased forest service land, or are part of the small local population. For the record, I do not own property in Jefferson County.

I grew up in the Midwest with a mother and father who loved to fly fish more than eat or sleep. My father took a month off each summer and we would pack up the car and head for the mountain rivers and streams. My parents also believed these vacations were an opportunity for me to expand my knowledge and appreciation of our beautiful country. As a result, I have been in most of the states west of the Mississippi River and explored many of the rivers and streams in the Colorado Rockies, Yellowstone, the Tetons, and the Black Hills as well as many other beautiful places.

I moved from the Midwest to Portland in 1973. I knew the minute I saw Oregon I wanted to live here permanently. I arrived at the time Governor McCall was encouraging people to “visit Oregon, but don’t stay”. It was exciting to be part of state that was ahead of every other state in protecting its beaches, cleaning up its waterways, and protecting the Columbia Gorge for future generations to enjoy.

My first visit to the Metolius River and Camp Sherman was shortly after moving here. I immediately knew this was one of the very few unique and mystical places in our country. I knew I was finally “home”. Thirty-four years later I feel that even more strongly.

A DAY ON THE METOLIUS

A day at the Metolius is a day of simple pleasures. I wake up early to the birds chirping and the sound of the rippling water. It is a beautiful morning, cool, crisp air and wonderful sunshine!

A walk along the river awakens my senses. I can smell the clean air, the pine, incense cedar and Douglas fir trees. I watch the sun dance off the crystal clear waters. I nod to the fly-fishermen who wade right into the cold water, and catch and release year-round. Are they using the stone flies for bait that my daughter loves to catch and feed to the fish? I continue along the river path past the historic cabins, each one charming and unique. One cabin has crystal glassware sitting on a tree stump. Soon the sun will turn it a beautiful shade of lavender. Another cabins’ deck is ready for lunch. The table is covered with a vintage kitchen tablecloth and an ironstone pitcher holds wildflowers. Already, people are laughing and squealing as they float down the river, oblivious to the coldness of the water. I pass several water wheels that no longer function, wondering what stories they could tell. I pass wildflowers, squirrels, and deer along the way. People are walking their dogs and it is hard to tell who enjoys it the most. I arrive at the Camp Sherman store and decide to linger with a latte on the bench.

The Camp Sherman store along with the post office and “honor” library are in one long, wooden building located a few steps from the river, shaded by pine trees. The store is a deli, a grocery store, a hardware store, a wine store and a gift store all rolled into one. People come and go all day – a hub of activity. My daughters and their friends, as youngsters, loved to stop there for treats. Now it is for a latte and newspaper. The store is the place to be on Independence Day for the Camp Sherman Independence Day barbeque and music festivities. The library has books and magazines for the taking – “on your honor” you will return when read. The store pay phone comes in handy as cell phone service leaves much to be desired! I watch the children on the bridge in front of the store feed the fish below and the chipmunks nearby. I wonder if they will make boats from sticks and bark, as my daughters did, and race them down the river. Or if they will learn to fish on the Metolius as my younger daughter did. Do they know about the Osprey that dives into the river to catch fish?

I continue on toward the Head of the Metolius. I remember how my oldest daughter was fascinated with the water bubbling up from under the ground. I stop near the Johnson family property and quietly thank the family for their part in protecting this special spot. I think about a memorial service for a good friend that was on the Johnson property and remember his hard work through the years to save and preserve the Metolius for future generations.

I head back for lunch and think about the afternoon ahead. It is starting to get warm. Maybe I will just hang out at the rivers edge with my feet in the water, camera in hand and a good book. A nap is not out of the question! I could go for a bike ride, visit the Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery, or just do nothing which is always allowed at the Metolius!

After dinner it’s time for good conversation, board games, or a good book – and maybe some popcorn or hot chocolate. It’s also a good time to watch for deer. No need for television, DVDs’, computers and computer games – they are not missed by young or old. Before bedtime, a quick walk to “the meadow” to see the brightest stars in the darkest sky I know. If we’re lucky we may see a few shooting stars.

The night is crisp and cold and the warm covers feel good. I am so thankful for this beautiful place that makes me complete and restored, where life is simple and we are reminded of what is truly important. This is the place where we reconnect with family, friends and nature. I fall asleep to the sound of the river remembering that we are the stewards of the Metolius River Basin. We must be the voice of the river and hear its’ cry to preserve this pristine, clean and unique habitat for fish and wildlife. This magical place belongs to nature – the river, the fish and the wildlife. We are the guests and we should be able to visit as long as we tread lightly and respect the land. This fragile Crown Jewel of Oregon needs to be managed carefully. It needs full protection from growth and development. There is a price to pay for beautiful places. We need to step up to the plate and preserve the Metolius River Basin before it is too late.

Thank you

Pat Krause
Portland, Oregon

No comments: